maandag 4 mei 2009

Moeke Zorn

A few weeks ago I was running some errands together with my mom when she suddenly told me that they were invited again to go sailing. My parents have already been invited five times before, and they really enjoyed the weekend sailing. I always wanted to come long since the ship they're sailing with is really awesome, but I always had to work during the weekends so that was impossible. But this time I was free to go, since I'm not working in the weekends any more. I asked one friend to come along and this weekend we were set to go!


When I was little and we used to go sailing in the summer I always saw these huge ships in different harbors. They had two masts sometimes even three, numerous sails and a lot of people on them. For me there was always some invincible attraction. And now I was going to sail with one of them, finally!

The ship that we went sailing with is called the Moeke Zorn. Moeke Zorn is a clipper (a type of ship) has two masts and is about 26 meters long. Another nice interesting thing is that most of the ships have a typical dutch name. Those typical dutch names just fit exactly with the ships. It would be really ridiculous to give such a ship a fancy name like Thrillseeker or Zinderella. The Moeke Zorn is even named after an old Dutch lady (I don't think she's alive anymore) and her picture hangs inside the cabin of the ship. Most of those ships are over a hundred years old.








We already left Friday evening to go to Enkhuizen, to be able to depart as soon as possible Saturday morning. We installed ourselves in our huts and got acquainted with everyone who was going to sail along. The son of the owner (the person who invited us to go along) was going to be the captain and a young guy was going to be 'de maat'. This last guy is a sort of assistant to the captain. While the captain is steering he is managing the sails together with the help of the passengers. All the people who came along were invited by the owners of the ship. The owners invite every year friends to come along sailing during a spring weekend.






Saturday morning we left Enkhuizen and we set sail for Medemblik. We crossed the IJsselmeer and arrived after a sunny day at the end of the afternoon in Medemblik. 'De maat' said that it was also called Mädchenblik because of the girls, (Mädchen is german for girls). I forgot to mention it before but there are always a lot of german groups at the ships, really A LOT.


When we arrived we explored Medemblik, which is a lovely village with pittoresque houses. After that we started cooking. The kitchen inside the ship is really excellent considering it's within a boat. A lot of kitchens within normal houses can't compare to that kitchen. The owner of the Moeke Zorn who came along was a terrific cook and with assistance of me and my friend we made a terrific pasta with salad. I really have to try out that recept another time.

The next morning we got up early again and after a solid breakfast we left shore on our way back to Enkhuizen. The weather wasn't as good as the first day, but the sailing was terrific. The force of the wind was about 4/5 using the scale of Beaufort. A little turbulent weather with a bit of rain, although it was cold it felt really good. To stay warm there was a nice hot soup as a lunch.



Around 3 o clock we arrived at the harbor already and we had to say goodbye. The weekend was terrific and it was great to sail with such a ship. When is the next weekend?

0 reacties: